Saturday, May 28, 2016

Who Are Millennials?


I read this week that Snapchat has new filters. Just when I thought I were over Snapchat and began to prep myself for a return to the real, filterless world, an update to the app arrive to drag me back in.
I immediately called my consultant to learn more about this. My 17-year-old niece did not pick up the phone but texted me just a few minutes later: ‘sup uncle. You called me… you know I don’t use the actual phone lol. 

I know that! But I risked it… obviously it didn’t work.
I asked her about the new filters and she said, “They’re lit.” Which means she approved them, use them, and liked them. Nice and brief. Very millennial.

In terms of generations, I’m generation X. However, I behave like a millennial: I hate calling people and leaving voicemails, I prefer texting or sending emails; I don’t like reading instructions; I feel suffocated in small offices, I prefer working from home in my pajamas; I don’t like going shopping, I rather order everything online. Should I continue and keep describing how millennials are?

-       When millennials want help, they want it now; but when they don’t want help, they expect the sales staff to be invisible.
-       Millennials are fast and multitasked, and they can quickly separate out what’s important for them.
-       Though fiercely loyal to themselves, they adapt easily and thrive on change
-       Millennials need to be trained well because they hate looking stupid.
-       Millennials hate old jokes from TV, those from the 90s.
-       They’re not about to wear a dumb-looking uniform.
-       They eat when they’re hungry and not by the clock. Also they may eat pasta for breakfast and a croissant with OJ for lunch. (OJ means orange juice…smh)
-       Millennials take technology for granted.
-       They’re not shy about sharing opinions. That’s how the concept of social TV got started. They’re not simple viewers, they’re very active.
-       Millennials are fast learners in negotiating. They negotiate everything.
-       Millennials grew up digital. They’re not intimidated by technology, and they show little patience with those who shy away from using it to its full advantage.
-       Power Point presentations are tedious, boring, and so 90s.
-       Everything lives in their smartphones. Everything.

I have several more facts about millennials, many, many more. This is the market I’ve been studying for the past three years. It’s a complex target audience that changes and evolves every day. But I feel I’m up to the task. I know I can learn how to market products to millennials via social media because I know what they want, how they want it, and when they want it.

1 comment:

  1. Social New Yorker what a great post! I love your usage of quotes. They complement perfectly your piece. Also, I love your bullet points – simple, to the point. Now you left me wondering… what you do for a living? Are you an advertiser? Or is this your dream job? Clearly you are very knowledgeable about millennials. This knowledge is crucial in this day and age. #506iv

    ReplyDelete