Saturday, June 11, 2016

MY THOUGHTS ON AVATARS

Avatars were useless for me. These sort of cartoons that may or may not look like you were not of interest for me. I didn’t need them. Avatar is also the title of a movie. Yes, I loved it. So what? Avatars were still irrelevant for me. I started this semester and oh boy, here we go again with avatars. I don’t care about avatars. Avatars are… wait, what? Oh wow, really?

I’m 40 years old and I finally understand what avatars really are! Better late than never right? This module was and eye-opening experience and I have a few things to share here. These thoughts have no particular order or structure. They’re just some thoughts.

“Reading gives us the insight of a priest listening to an author’s confession, except the confessional is no longer a quiet sofa or library… The confession booth is the Web, where everyone confesses.” This reminds me of how technology has changed the way we communicate and how the concept of “private life” is no longer that private. At least the definition of private has evolved to a more intimate “private life,” such as your sexual life. In the past we used to have our diaries and nobody was allowed to read them. Our personal diary was for us. Nowadays everybody, but especially millennials, feel frustrated when nobody likes his or her new pillow, bathroom mirror, or new lower back tattoo photos posted in social media. In the past those things were part of your “private life.”

This quote from Oscar Wilde was shocking and made me think that millennials do many things that are not real, “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.” That quote is so old, and yet so new. Take a look at this video:


Many people talk in their own person and that’s the reason they are not real. They fake it and lie. Thanks Oscar Wilde, you died 116 years ago, but you’re officially a 2.0 novelist, essayist, and poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment